In 1867 a discovery of alluvial gold in a gully near the Mary River began the first major gold rush in Queensland, rescued the colony's economy and founded the mining town of Gympie.
There are 2 entrance turnstiles, one each at the ends of Counter Street and Victoria Street. Yellow metal posts mark the boundaries of the fossicking area; please do not go outside these.
The area was extensively worked in the first couple of years, but it is likely that gold may still be found as a result of reconcentration over the years or in pockets missed by the early miners. The most likely places are along the banks and bed of the creek, in particular on the inside of the creek bends. The alluvium there consists of silty sand, which incorporates sand and small rock chips from old crushing batteries upstream. Depth in the creek banks exceeds 1m and in places may reach 5m.
|File Name:||QLD_DeepCreek Gympie Fossicking Area.zip|
|File Size:||22 Byte|
|Last Updated Date:||11-30--0001|